Thursday, March 6, 2008


At least 7 killed at Israeli seminary

'Horrific' attack by two extremists; many reported wounded


I might as well put it out there now that I am pro-Israel. I'll also put it out there that that doesn't mean I am anti-Palestinian. I've taken Middle East Issues classes and know the complexities of the situation. I also know that there are those that will never be happy until Israel is driven into the sea, as many versions of their manifesto still says. There are those that believe that it is morally equivalent to blow up a school bus full of children in retaliation for a bombing which in most cases was not only targeted at known terrorists, but is often announced beforehand to give civilians the chance to flee and in turn ruins the element of surprise. Now I by no means think Israel does everything right. That would make me an idiot. But it is not only terrorists who believe in this moral equivalence. I spent a summer in London and met many intelligent Europeans and Brits who felt this way.

I could go on for a while on this, but what really bothers me is that it is acceptable in the world to be Anti-Israel but not Anti-Semitic. And I ask - Is there really a difference, or is it an age old prejudice in a new form?

Perhaps you wonder why America should support Israel. Maybe because it is the only democratic country in the region. Maybe because whether it should have been created or not, it was and it is a nationally recognized country. Maybe because the world treats the Israeli/Palestinian issue differently than almost any other world issue and it is not fair. Muslim extremists would still hate America even if it turned it's back on Israel. People say very naive things about this issue and it makes me sick. That's all for now.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23504328/

No comments: