Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Word of the Day - Minutiae

In honor of my punk teacher friend who teased me for my over-analytical controlling tendencies I am choosing MINUTIAE as today's word of the day. What a fun word it is and certainly it is not used enough. Why say "tiny little details" or "unimportant little details" or something to the effect when there is one perfectly crafted word with a beautifully nuanced meaning in Minutiae. It's also a good word for me since I often get caught in the quagmire of minutiae that my brain can't find it's way out of. I am the QUEEN of over explanation or over-analyzing. Ok, maybe not the queen, but definitely a Lady or Countess.

Minutiae - precise details; small or trifling matters: the minutiae of his craft.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

CJ-

Thank you for honoring me with the WOD shout out. I love the word minutiae. It is such a great noun for all of those things that I brain f*ck to death.

Jules

HEALTHY AMELIA said...

Definitely one of my favorite words! I have been made fun of for using it, actually. Oh, well!

Anonymous said...

Great word of the day! I use it all the time. I abhor dealing with the minutiae at work.

I also just love the idea of having a word of the day in your blog. I've been sorta crazy busy lately but I'm going to try and check more often!

dd