Friday, March 14, 2008

So Explain the Shrinking Part to Me...

So some of you may wonder why the word "shrinking" is in the title of my blog. That is meant to refer to the journey of weight loss that I am on, or rather was on. I've hit a bit of a road block and I'm having trouble getting the car moving again.

I started my current weight loss journey in July. I lost 40 lbs and look pretty cute if I do say so myself. But I'm not happy with pretty cute, I want to be Smokin' Hot! Ha ha. Anyway, it was pretty smooth sailing, but then again I've done this before and the first stretch usually is. I thought this time might be different since I got past my usual stumbling block of 30 lbs. But alas, I hit that point where things in my life changed and once again have spent months in the general vicinity of the same 4 lbs.

I can point to a lot of things that have contributed to this, such as a new part time job with an endless supply of bread, lack of time to go shopping for appropriate food, for true workouts beyond waitressing and for cooking healthy meals. But probably it's a combination of laziness and self sabotage. Maybe I'm comfortable where I'm at because it's been so long since I was truly thin. Maybe it's the fear of the unknown or having to take responsibility for my life. I guess i wouldn't define myself as fat anymore but if I were to stop working on this thing tomorrow it wouldn't be long before I was back where I started.

This is the point where I've quit in the past. I get frustrated paying for Weight Watchers and ostensibly "trying" to lose weight and getting nowhere week after week. This time however I have a support network that might come out to DC and hit me with a 2X4 if I do that. Ladies you know who you are. I'm on two message boards, something I've never done before in my life, of ladies and a couple men who are going through the same things I am. Having these people in my life to encourage me on hard days and celebrate with me on the good has really helped keep me from jumping off this train.

The other day, when I told my mom I'd miss my Weight Watcher meeting for the third week in a row my mother said, "That's it. You're done. You're not going back." I said, "What are you talking about. I just overslept." But I knew she had a point. Then I got a post card from my meeting leader telling me to stay with it because I've seen so much success. I knew that I couldn't be derailed by my mother's fatalism or my own frustrations. I'm just not sure what I need to get back with the program. So I've decided to set some goals.

1. Go shopping for healthy food to keep in the house.
2. Bring my lunch to work.
3. Limit Caramel Machiattos to once a week.
4. Drink more water
5. No more bread and mashed potatoes at work.
6. Eat something before going to Outback to stave off hunger.

Hmmm...Maybe 6 things is a little much but I'll try to do at least a couple this coming week. Tomorrow is day 1 so here goes nothing. Thanks to all who are supporting me in this journey.

8 comments:

Janna said...

YOU CAN DO THIS! Just remember how strong you are and how far you have already come!

Holly Jolly Christmas (HJC) said...

You WILL do this!!! Hey, just the fact that you haven't really gained is huge - so don't take that away from yourself at least. I, on the other hand, cannot say the same - as my profile attests. Shameful!

Anonymous said...

CJ-

Don't let your fear of the unknown make you complacent. You have it in you to do what ever you want.

YOU CAN AND WILL DO THIS!!!

Jules

Shannon said...

And don't forget - ignore your mom! Or use this as an opportunity to prove her wrong. :-)

Anonymous said...

You can do this and I'm here to help you all that I can!!!!

MJ said...

So how did the first weekend go? You can do this! Remember me telling you about the plateau I was on for an entire session plus more? We all go there sometimes! Go, girl, go!

HEALTHY AMELIA said...

Keep at it, CJ! You can totally can do this.

Anonymous said...

CJ - if you find you can't limit the caramel macchiatos to once a week, at least make them sugar free with no whipped cream. You can DRASTICALLY reduce the calories by doing just that.

Pack a lunch - Outback food is HORRIBLE for you. You can do this!!
TexKate