Monday, March 17, 2008

I'm Not a Republican

People assume that because I support McCain for President I am a Republican. Right now I like to classify myself as independent because my political views are still forming. It might seem a little late in the game for that to be the case but I stayed out of the political fray for many reasons for a long time. I was very turned off by the apparent corruption of so many politicians, by the flip-flopping, by so many saying what people wanted to hear when running but then doing the opposite once in office. I was sick of having to choose the "better of two evils" in an election because both candidates were severely flawed.

I also knew that there were so many issues involved in choosing a party and in the world of politics, and I am reticent to tack my support behind something I am not completely informed about. I know that most who vote don't know half of what they are supporting but I didn't want to be a sheep and for that reason, though I voted for president, I wasn't very vocal and certainly wasn't happy with my lack of knowledge. So right now I am trying to learn how Washington works, what the main issues are, what the variables are, what issues need to be absolute and which ones can handle compromise.

I was raised in a fairly liberal but generally non-political home, and then went through a period where I sided on the conservative front because of social beliefs. I've since realized those issues aren't the ones that are important and that in most cases I don't believe that should even be dealt with in the political forum. I've laid all that aside and am trying to find out what I truly believe. I have a strong feeling that when my knowledge of the issues becomes as fully informed as possible and all the cards are on the table I will find that I am not fully Republican or Democrat. It goes against my nature to buy into something wholesale when issues tend to be nuanced and complicated. I'll probably find as I am already that I like some of the ideas on both sides and maybe some that don't fit with either.

But that brings me to why I like McCain. I see in him a level of integrity that I don't in most politicians. I met him, though only for a moment, and he had something that attracted me to him. He has a kindness and an authority about him that is palpable even in our short greeting. He showed this integrity in a choice he made to stay a POW and stay with his men in Vietnam when he was offered a chance to go. He is known as a maverick for the fact that he does not tow the line for political gain. He makes unpopular decisions to stay true to his beliefs. I like McCain for the very reasons right wing conservatives don't. He has shown the willingness to cross party lines to get things done where other politicians won't and therefore nothing gets done. Better to get 70% of you what you want and see change than get nothing done cause you won't budge. I admire his tenacity, his straightforward style and his willingness to see both sides of an issue. I

I think he has the skills and knowledge to handle the quagmire that is Iraq and to handle it responsibly and with wisdom. It's time to stop arguing over whether we should be there. The fact is that we are there and it would be a dishonor to the men and women who have died and been wounded to pull out and give up and make their deaths and injuries count for nothing. We also have a responsibility to help Iraq avoid civil war and chaos. Yes we shouldn't hold that responsibility but the damage has been done and it is our fault and the consequences to ourselves should Al Queda take over would be more detrimental than people realize. I think McCain could help us avoid that.

I do see many things to admire in Obama. He is an excellent speaker and it is easy to see why so many fall behind him. He has a message of hope and change, and in the light of the last 7 years that is very appealing. I worry that he doesn't have the experience to lead this country yet. I do think he is capable but wonder if it wouldn't be better to wait till he has gained that experience. I don't feel assured that he knows enough of International Affairs or Immigration to handle these complicated issues. He's an ideas man and that is important but he is young and certainly has a bright future, but I don't know that that is now. If it were another Republican and not McCain he would face in a general election I might find myself supporting him. I can't say that for sure because there is still so much more I need to learn about his positions. I do know that I wouldn't have been happy with any of the other Republican candidates.

So for all these reasons I support McCain but am not a Republican. I am an intelligent woman living in Maryland that marches to the beat of my own drum and may never choose a party. For now I support McCain and that is enough.

4 comments:

Holly Jolly Christmas (HJC) said...

Another well-worded commentary on your political background and evolution. I'm also registered independent and am trying to figure out which candidate is the best fit overall. It's a process for me also.

MJ said...

So why not Hillary? Just curious.

Personally, I'm not that fond of the guy (McCain). His temper scares me.

Another Indy girl, finding her way...

Javabooknut said...

I think she's running on her husband's record. I don't like her plans for health care because I think they're naive and not well formed. I would love a woman president but I have never been a fan of Hillary. She doesn't have that much experience of her own but she touts that she does. I will admit that I know more about why I like McCain than why i don't like Hillary. It's more of a gut feeling. I don't trust her.

McCain has a bit of a temper but he has faced a lot his life. I think it also comes out of his frustrations with the system. I haven't seen anything that makes me worry about it. I think it's good to have a little righteous indignation sometimes. I saw one example of his "temper" when he was being interviewed by a New York Times reporter. The same paper that had first endorsed him and then printed a clearly trumped up story about him and a lobbyist. She asked stupid questions. I'd get frustrated too. i think he handled himself well.

Shannon said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with not picking a party. But, then, I'm Independent, too. :-)